Steve Clemente from Austin, Texas emailed this message just a while ago:
"Dear TechPinas, please help me! I'd like to know how to properly install EyeToy in Windows Vista. I've been trying to do this since yesterday to no avail and my head is now starting to ache. Thanks in advance!"
Hi Steve! Thanks for your inquiry! Here's how:
***But first, just for our other readers, What is EyeToy?
The EyeToy is a color digital camera device, similar to a webcam, for the PlayStation 2. The technology uses computer vision and Gesture recognition to process images taken by the camera. This allows players to interact with games using motion, color detection and also sound, through its built-in microphone.
The camera is manufactured by Logitech (known as "Logicool" in Japan), although newer EyeToys are manufactured by Namtai. The camera is mainly used for playing EyeToy games developed by Sony and other companies. It is not intended for use as a normal PC camera, although some people have developed unofficial drivers for it. As of November 6, 2008, the EyeToy has sold 10.5 million units worldwide.
Now, on to the installation process:
1. Download the latest Eye Toy driver HERE. Remember where you save it on your computer.
2. Open Windows Vista Device Manager - Right click Start, then choose Control panel and then, in Classic View, click Device Manager. In Default View, Click on System and Maintenance, then choose Device Manager.
3. Plug in the Eye Toy device to the USB port of your computer.
4. Windows Vista will tell you that it detects a new hardware, ignore this message. Check your Device Manager if it has detected the Eye Toy under image devices. At this point, Device Manager will show the name and model of your Eye Toy.
5. Right click on the Eye Toy name and select Update Drivers. Simply follow the steps - here you will realize how important it is to remember where you saved the updated Driver in Step 1.
6. In the meantime, ignore error messages stating that the driver you are trying to install doesn't have Windows approval.
7. After you have finished installing the drivers, follow Eye Toy screen instructions to wrap up process.
There! I hope you find this helpful! Have fun with your Eye Toy! :)