Just arrived home from Sony Ericsson Xperia X8's media launch at the Makati Shangrila.
Yes, Sony Ericsson's most affordable Android handset is now available in the Philippines. It will retail at Php 11,600, bundled with a 2GB SD card and other accessories. For full specifications of Sony Ericsson Xperia X8, kindly click on the link.
Here are press photos of the handset:
Read the official Sony Ericsson Xperia X8 press release --
And a media Q&A with Mr. Francisco Dennis Manzano, Sony Ericsson General Manager --
1. Why did you choose to partner with WaveSecure?
The Sony Ericsson Xperia™ range is our premium line of smartphones and WaveSecure presents one of the best applications for phone security and protection to date. It was a natural step for us to take the best solutions available for the Sony Ericsson Xperia™ range.
2. What are the terms of this agreement?
WaveSecure will be embedded in the Sony Ericsson X8. Consumers will thus be able to experience this service for free for three months.
3. How popular are Android handsets in the Philippines?
Android handsets have started to make their presence felt in the past year. For Sony Ericsson, Android made its debut in the Xperia™ X10 which started shipping in Q1 2010. The Xperia™ X10 was soon followed by the Xperia™ X10 mini and the X10 mini pro. Now the X8 brings the Xperia™ proposition of being the most entertaining smartphone to within the reach of an entirely new segment of consumers.
4. How popular are smartphones in the country, as against regular mobile phones?
Smartphones constitute a fast-growing segment of the mobile industry in the Philippines. We hope that the Xperia™ X8 will further contribute to this growth, with its very affordable price and its strong consumer entertainment proposition.
5. Will all succeeding Xperia™ handsets run on Android?
Yes. Xperia™ will represent our line of smartphones running on the Android OS.
6. Is the Xperia™ X8 the lowest priced among the Xperia™ line of handsets? What is the SRP of the Sony Ericsson Xperia X8?
Yes. It will retail at PhP 11, 600, bundled with a 2GB SD card and other accessories.
7. What kind of consumer would be interested in the Xperia™ X8?
The Xperia™ X8 is targeted at consumers who want to use their phone for fun and entertainment, as well as for managing and organizing their life.
8. What does the Xperia™ X8 bring to the Xperia™ range that hasn’t been there before?
The Xperia™ X8 is a great entertainment smartphone that sits in the mid-level of our overall portfolio and contributes to Sony Ericsson’s objective to extend the Xperia™ range of entertaining smartphones to a broader audience by offering a choice of size, style and performance. Its form and features build on the successes of the X10, the X10 mini and X10 mini pro.
9. Are there any upgrades scheduled for your other Xperia™ handsets?
Yes, a software upgrade for Xperia handsets is scheduled for Q4 this year. We will announce details at a date closer to the release of the update.
There you go. Sony Ericsson Xperia X8 in the Philippines, ladies and gentlemen.