Blackberry Bold 9790 released: The More Affordable Bold Flaunting Both a Capacitive Touch Display and Hardware Keyboard
If Curves are the entry-level BlackBerry handsets ideal for students and young consumers, the Bold line has come to be known as the high-end mobile device of businessmen and people who belong to the corporate world. BlackBerry Bold phones have traditionally been issued by companies to mid-to-high level officers in corporations, making them a status symbol.
Today, Blackberry added a new handset in its high-end line: the BlackBerry Bold 9790, offering a balance of power and portability.
Traditionally, the smallest BB smartphones are reserved for the Curve line. Although the lightest and most portable, they are considered to be a bit underpowered by “power users” who look for faster response times and multitasking in their BB devices. Meanwhile, the Bold lineup are equipped with powerful processors sufficient for these particular customers. They are powerful devices but have slightly larger dimensions, and considered as bulky by some.
The market segment who wish to own BBs that are easier to fit in pockets and purses, while at the same time demand sufficient speed and power in their mobile devices would find satisfaction in the performance and form factor of the BB Bold 9790.
But what particular features will they get from this smartphone?
- Finely crafted materials that exude sophistication and strong corporate image
- High resolution and responsive capacitive touch screen, which enable users to read emails, browse websites, social networks and watch videos using familiar touch gestures for faster navigation.
- The optical trackpad meanwhile, allows users already familiar with previous generation BlackBerry handsets have the option to navigate their phones through the traditional way that they have grown accustomed to.
- 1GHz processor, powerful enough to do tasks with the BB 7 OS smoothly
- Slim and narrow profile that adds to its portability. Also, it is worth mentioning that the beautifully designed keyboard helps users to make text inputs with minimal errors.
- 8GB onboard memory but with a micro SD slot capable of getting up to 32 GB.
I think yhe BB 9790 is an intriguing device because it's one of the few phones in the Bold product line that's light, slim and sexy all at the same time. Traditionally, BlackBerry Bolds exude powerful character but its bulkiness is already part of its image. Now, this gives new perspective to the word Bold. It would be great to see this device more up close once it is released in the market.
More new BlackBerries to come!
TP Contributing Writer Profile: Mon Arguelles is a graduate of Environmental Management, a joint program of the Ateneo De Manila University and University of San Francisco. He’s currently taking up his MBA. He is a part-time professor and environmental researcher but considers being updated about the latest technological trends to be one of his favorite pastimes.
|Name||Blackberry Bold 9790|
|Type||Slate Form Factor QWERTY|
|Price Category||High End|
|Dimensions||110 x 60 x 11.4 mm|
|Operating System||BlackBerry OS 7.0|
|Display||TFT capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors 480 x 360 pixels, 2.45 inches (~245 ppi |
|Processor||Marvel Tavor MG1 1 GHz|
|Camera||5 MegaPixels, 2592x1944 pixels, autofocus, LED flash Geo-tagging, face detection, image stabilization|
|Audio and Video Playback||- MP3/WMA/WAV/eAAC+/FLAC player |
- MP4/H.264/H.263/WMV player
|Ports||microUSB 2.0, 3.5 mm audio jack|
|Connectivity||Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n, UMA (carrier-dependent)|
|Network||2G Network: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 3G Network: HSDPA HSDPA 850 / |
1900 / 2100 / 800 HSDPA 900 / 1700 / 2100
|Memory||8 GB storage, 768 MB RAM via microSD, supports up to 32GB|
|Sensors||Accelerometer, Digital Compass, Proximity|
|Battery||Standard battery, Li-Ion (JM-1)|
|Uptime||Up to 432 h (2G) / Up to 408 h (3G) Up to 5 h 10 min (2G) / Up to 5 h 20 min (3G)|
|Value-Added Features||BB 7 OS, premium design|