BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.0 software update brings a lot of cool new features to BBPB including Messages, Contacts, and Calendar native applications -- but giving the users the ability to use their BB Smartphone as remote control for the tablet has got to be the coolest.
As some of you already know, I got myself a BlackBerry PlayBook last year for three reasons; One, I love how it looks - it's simple yet elegant and it matches the classic design of my ThinkPad; Two, it's probably the best tablet out there when it comes to multitasking; And three, its default web-browser, which supports flash and renders pages quickly, is simply king.
Let me tell you, my BBPB was already great even prior to OS 2.0 but it became 'super' after I installed the firmware upgrade.
Like what I said, using my BlackBerry smartphone as remote control for the tablet is the new feature I like the most. I find this particularly useful when I'm doing PowerPoint presentations for clients. What I do is that I connect my PlayBook to a larger display via HDMI cable, run the PPT file, stand beside the big screen, talk and use my phone to flip through the boards without having to go back and forth the table to touch my tablet. It's really neat.
If you also own a BlackBerry PlayBook and a BB Smartphone - a new generation Curve with touchscreen (BlackBerry Curve 9380) or Bold (BlackBerry Bold 9900 or 9790) or a BlackBerry Torch, you might want to watch my short tutorial video on how you can use your handset as remote control for your tablet. I mean, you'll never know when you might need to use it. Check it out:
So again, here's how you do it:
1. Download and install the latest version of BlackBerry Bridge app on your BB smartphone. Get the app from BlackBerry App world; It's free.
2. Connect your BlackBerry Smartphone to your BlackBerry PlayBook using BlackBerry Bridge.
3. Once they're connected, go to your smartphone's BB Bridge app settings and click on "Use Remote Control" button.
4. Familiarize yourself one-finger, two-finger and 'frame' touch gestures on your remote control. Use one finger to choose items; Two fingers to scroll up and down the screen; Swipe up from below the frame to go back to home screen; Swipe down from the top of the frame to go to PlayBook settings and swipe from sides to jump from one open application to another.
5. Enjoy your powerhouse BlackBerry pair and practice your presentations!