From Fred N., a friend from Twitter:
"Hi, I'm a bit shy to ask this question because DoTA is already old but I'll ask it anyway: What are the minimum system requirements for playing DoTA? My PC keeps BSODing while I play and I think my system should be able to support the game well:
Intel Celeron Northwood 1.80ghz
inno3d FX 5500 128mb/128bit
L4VXA2 s478 mobo
768mb ddr 333
Help me, please."
Hi Fred! No prob. Feel free to ask TP any tech related question. :)
You're right. Your system should be able to support DoTA well since that game's system requirements are pretty low:
* 400 MHz Pentium II or equivalent - or a 400 MHz G3 processor or better for Mac.
* Windows 98, at least. Warcraft III requires Mac OS® 9.0 or higher, or Mac OS X® 10.1.3 or higher
* Warcraft III requires 128 MB of RAM. Virtual Memory should be enabled on computers running pre-Mac OS X versions of the Mac OS®.
* A hard drive with at least 550 MB of free space
* 8MB 3D video card with DirectX 8.1 support. For Mac OS® systems, a video card consisting of an ATI Technologies or nVidia chipset with at least 16 MB of memory is required.
* A DirectX-compatible 16-bit sound card is recommended. Warcraft III will work with the built-in sound features of the Mac OS®.
Recommended System Requirements:
* 600 MHz processor or better
* 256 MB of RAM
* 32 MB 3D Video card
As for the BSOD -- Fred, does it only happen when you're playing DoTA? If so, based on experience, I think it's being caused by a hardware failure or malfunction, specifically of the Video Card (although, on rare occassions, it could also be caused by conflict with another multimedia device). Off hand, what you can do it to try reseating the VC. Let me know if that helps.
Thanks for the inquiry.