Great news for all iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4, iPod Touch 3rd Generation and 4th Generation, and iPad 1st generation owners! An untethered jailbreak for iOS 5.0.1 is now available!
For those who will be jailbreaking their iDevice for the first time, I know that you have these questions in your mind right now:
1. Why would anyone want to jailbreak a seemingly perfect Apple product?
2. What exactly is an untethered jailbreak?
3. What are the consequences of jailbreaking an iDevice?
And TP has the answers --
1. Jailbreaking opens your iDevice to exciting customizations and free applications that you otherwise won't get on stock iOS.
2. An untethered jailbreak, as opposed to a tethered jailbreak, means that you won't have to re-apply the jailbreak every time you reboot your iDevice.
3. Jailbreaking voids the Apple warranty of an iDevice and makes it vulnerable to malware and phishing attacks among other software issues.
That said, apply this untethered jailbreak at your own risk:
Note that this jailbreak only works on Apple mobile devices running on Apple A4 processor or less. Apple A5 chip is not yet supported so this won't work on iPhone 4S or iPad2. Also, this jailbreak procedure erases all content on your device so make sure you back up your data first. I can't guarantee that these instructions are 100% accurate. So again, jailbreak your iDevice at your own risk.
1. Download Redsn0w 0.9.10b1 for your Windows PC or Mac via either of these links:
Windows or Mac
2. Extract the files to your computer.
3. Turn off your iDevice and connect it to your computer.
4. Run Redsn0w.
5. Click Jailbreak button.
6. Read the instructions and click Next button to place your iDevice into DFU mode.
7. Wait for Redsn0w to apply the jailbreak on your iDevice. Once done, the device will automatically reboot.
8. Enjoy your freshly jailbroken unit!
That's it. I hope you find this useful.