The BlackBerry Bold 9900 is currently RIM's top-of-the-line handset.
It is the finest business phone, the cream of the crop, and the most expensive mobile device that the Canadian company has to offer -- excluding the limited edition BlackBerry Porsche, that is. As featured in an earlier TP article, customers who'll get BB Bold 9900 - which succeeds BB Bold 9780 - will enjoy the following features:
- Classic BlackBerry exterior design made of premium choice of materials which includes a brushed stainless steel frame
- A 2.8” high resolution capacitive touchscreen. This would enable users to navigate using double-click, tap, swipe, and pinch-to-zoom gestures on the screen. Fans of the classic BB design would still have the option to use the optical trackpad.
- It has the largest physical QWERTY keyboard on a BlackBerry handset ever. This naturally improves faster thumb-typing of e-mails, text messages, BBM and status updates.
- The phone is equipped with a 1.2 GHz processor. This is currently the most powerful processor that runs any BlackBerry smartphone. It ensures the Bold 9900 user the best experience when it comes to multitasking and running applications.
- The phone features the new BlackBerry OS 7, which is the latest BlackBerry smartphone OS optimized for touchscreens.
- Near-Field Communications or NFC is a new technology that allows your phone to do things such as exchanging data with other NFC equipped devices and make payments using only the touch of your phone. In the future, it can replace credit cards but today, it is still not widely used especially in our country.
The white BlackBerry Bold 9900 retails for a premium price of Php 31,690, which is - interestingly - same as the black variant. If you are looking for the top BB handset, and you want to make a fashion statement and assure a premium resale value of your phone, then I recommend this model -- Just make sure that you take extra care in keeping it away from dirt and discoloration.
TP Contributing Writer Profile: Mon Arguelles is a graduate of Environmental Management, a joint program of the Ateneo De Manila University and University of San Francisco. He’s currently taking up his MBA. He is a part-time professor and environmental researcher but considers being updated about the latest technological trends to be one of his favorite pastimes.
|TechPinas Smartphone Technical Specs Table (TSTST)|
|Name||White BlackBerry Bold 9900|
|Type||Touch and Type - Thumb-type Full QWERTY Candybar with Capacitive Touchscreen Display|
|Price Category||High-End (Flagship Release)|
|Dimensions||115 x 66 x 10.5 mm|
|Operating System||BlackBerry 7 OS|
|Display||2.8 inches (~286 ppi pixel density), 640 x 480 pixels, TFT, capacitive touchscreen,16M colors|
|Processor||1.2 GHz QC 8655 processor|
|Camera||5 MegaPixels, 2592x1944 pixels, fixed focus, LED flash|
|Video Capture||High-Definition, 720p, fixed focus|
|Audio and Video Playback||MP4/WMV/H.263/H.264 player, MP3/eAAC+/WMA player|
|Ports||microUSB 2.0, 3.5 mm audio jack|
|Connectivity||Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, dual-band, Bluetooth v2.1 with A2DP, EDR, NFC, 3G |
HSDPA 14.4Mbps, HSUPA 5.76Mbps
|Network||2G Network GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 3G Network HSDPA 850 / 1900 / |
|Memory||8GB storage, 768 MB RAM, expandable via microSD, supports up to 32GB|
|Sensors||Accelerometer, Digital Compass, Proximity|
|Battery||Li-Ion 1230 mAh|
|Uptime||Standby of up to 307 hours and Talk time of up to 6 hours 30 minutes on 2G Talk |
time of up to 5 hours 50 minutes on 3G
|Value-Added Features||Optical Trackpad, BlackBerry Messenger, BlackBerry Maps, |
Facebook for BlackBerry, Twitter for BlackBerry
|Announcement||January 10, 2012|
|Availability||January 13, 2012|