Cherry Mobile Cosmos Z2 vs. THL T100 MonkeyKing 2 Price, Specs Comparison, Design, Full Demo : Octa Core Battle!

Both Cherry Mobile Cosmos Z2 and THL T100 Monkey King 2 run on the new MediaTek MT6592 Octa Core chipset and have the same Php 12,999 official suggested retail price. But which of the two is better? Which one should you spend your hard-earned money on?

I've already played with these flagship devices and have likewise interviewed key representatives from both companies. For those who are now at wits' end trying to decide which handset to get, I'm sharing in-the-flesh photos, specs highlights, and full demo videos of these phones. Hopefully, these information would help you make up your mind.

Update as of February 7, 2014: I've just interviewed Mr. Elijah Mendoza, Product Marketing Manager of Happy Man Philippines, about the main selling points of Starmobile Diamond X1 - the first ever Octa Core smartphone from the local company, priced at Php 13,990. I will be dedicating a separate TP Post to it and I hope you'd also check it out before heading to the stores as I think Starmobile Diamond X1 is also a very fierce competitor in the Octa Core handset category.

Cherry Mobile Cosmos Z2 vs. THL T100 MonkeyKing 2

As I've shared in a previous post, upon launch, Cherry Mobile Cosmos Z2 will officially supersede the high-end Cherry Mobile Cosmos Z from last year as the local electronics giant's new flagship Android smartphone.

It is powered by MediaTek MT6592 SoC - the most powerful chip that the Taiwanese company has released to date. Launched in Beijing, China last November 20, 2013, MT6592 is a 'true octa core' chip with eight ARM Cortex A7 application processor clocked at 1.7-2.0 GHz and Mali 450-MP GPU clocked at 700 MHz. According to CM, what's particularly special about this chipset - apart from having such high number cores - is its even, consistent, and non-degrading powerhouse performance.

On top of that landmark SoC, CM Mobile Cosmos Z2 also sports the best technical specifications and multimedia features that the local player could have given the product as of writing. The device handles multitasking with 2GB of RAM and has 16 GB of internal storage expandable via microSD card slot. Likewise, it flaunts a 5-inch Full HD IPS OGS display panel - underneath scratch-resistant DragonTrail Glass, an 18 MegaPixel autofocus camera with LED flash and BSI sensor, 8 MegaPixel front cam also with BSI sensor for clear and crisp selfies even in low light conditions, Full HD 1080p 30fps video recorder, HVEC video file format support, ClearMotion and Blur-Free video playback, Dual SIM Dual Standby Dual 3G capability, WiFi, Bluetooth and 3G HSPA+ connectivity support, and a removable 2,000 mAh Li-Ion battery pack, which delivers around "a whole day" of uptime with mixed usage (according to CM).

Out of the box, Cherry Mobile Cosmos Z2 runs the rather dated Android 4.2 Jelly Bean operating system with stock or vanilla user interface - albeit with customized icons. However, Cherry Mobile promises that the phone will receive Android 4.4 KitKat firmware upgrade around March of this year.

During the Octa Core phone's launch last February 4, 2014 at the Hyatt Hotel in Manila, I got to interview Mr. Marco Solomon, Cherry Mobile's Product Training Head, and he shared with me the key strengths of their newest flagship release.

Last December 17, 2013, our friends from Novo7Tech - the official distributor of THL smartphones in the Philippines - gave me exclusive first look and hands-on of the THL T100 Monkey King 2, which - I believe - effectively made the company the very first player to announce such device in the country.

THL Monkey King 2 runs Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean operating system replete with stock user interface with the same 1.7 GHz Octa Core ARM Cortex A7 CPU and 700 MHz Mali 450 GPU based MediaTek MT6592 SoC - which can run all 8 cores at the same time when needed or just use 1 core to save energy when there's little user activity on the device. Novo7Tech hasn't given word on any possible Android 4.4 KitKat upgrade for the T100.

The device handles multitasking with 2GB of RAM and has 32 GB of internal storage expandable via microSD card slot. THL Monkey King 2 also flaunts a 5-inch Full HD IPS OGS display panel - underneath scratch-resistant Gorilla Glass 3 (according to Novo7Tech), an 13 MegaPixel autofocus camera with LED flash and a sensor made by Sony delivering great low-light performance, 13 MegaPixel front cam with the same Sony-made lens for clear and vibrant selfies, Full HD 1080p 30fps video recorder, Dual SIM Dual Standby Dual 3G capability, WiFi, Bluetooth and 3G HSPA+ connectivity support, and a removable 2,700 mAh Li-Ion battery pack, which delivers around 17 hours of uptime with mixed usage.

As you can see in these photos, the two Octa Core handsets share largely the same "hardly rounded" design language highlighted by a dominantly plastic shell. The main difference though, apart from the MonkeyKing 2 having textured caps on top and at the bottom, is that Cosmos Z2's camera module is a bit protruding at the back while you get a flat rear on the THL T100.

During the exclusive TechPinas preview of THL T100 MonkeyKing 2, Mr. Adriam Lim - the Information Technology Director of Novo7Tech - gave me full demo of the device as well an on-the-spot scratch-test of the glass touchscreen using his pocket knife and benchmark scores rundown.

Of course, there are many other factors to consider including after-sales support and product reliability, but off hand - given all the information that I presented in this entry - which of these two handsets do you think would be a better purchase, TP Friends? Or are you leaning more towards Starmobile Diamond X1 even though it's a tad pricier (and understandably so)? Kindly share your thoughts below.