Spotted it at the newly opened Smart-PLDT Jump Store at SM MegaMall CyberZone last night:
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, the thinnest tablet out in the market today -- according to Samsung.
My initial observations on the device:
1. It's lighter than iPad2 -- because its shell is made largely of glossy plastic vs. iPad2's aluminum body.
2. It's actually thinner than iPad2 -- but I think the latter's tapered edges make Apple's tablet feel a tad more sleek.
3. Despite having a plastic case, Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 nonetheless feels well-constructed. You can hold it with one hand on one side and not worry that it might crack in the middle.
4. I'm impressed with the user interface. It's neat and quite easy to use.
5. Love the front-facing camera. I can imagine me and my friends having fun with it in a party -- taking wacky group photos.
6. The tablet handles multi-tasking quite well. Transitions feel smooth too. The dual core chip does its thing well.
7. The keyboard is a joy to use. Even if you have really big fingers, I don't think you'll have a problem using it.
8. There's a virtual screen capture button found in the 'taskbar', which comes really handy for when you want to show one section of the UI on your blog or to share what you're doing on your tablet with your friends on Facebook; You won't find this feature in Android 3.0. Some are saying that the reason for the delayed release of Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 is because Samsung wanted to have Android 3.1 running smoothly on it.
Watch my rather lengthy Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 hands-on video (pardon the incessant shaking and the redundant shots) --
No official word yet on pricing details nor exact release date. My guesstimate on the SRP? Around Php 30,000-38,000. Should come bundled with top tier Smart Data Plans too.
UPDATE as of October 3, 2011: The official SRP of Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 in the Philippines is Php 30,000. Please note, TP Friends.
|Name||Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1|
|Price Category||High-End (Flagship Release)|
|Dimensions||246.2 x 170.4 x 10.9 mm|
|Available Colors||Black Bezel, White Back Cover with Metal Accents on the sides|
|Operating System||Android 3.0 Honeycomb|
|Display||10.1-inch 1280 x 800 pixels WXGA TFT Capacitive Touchscreen|
|Processor||1 Ghz Dual Core ARM Cortex-A9, ULP GeForce GPU, NVIDIA Tegra 2 Chipset|
|Camera||Front-facing 2-megapixel camera, 3 MegaPixel camera at the back with Autofocus and LED flash|
|Video Capture||720p, High-definition|
|Audio and Video Playback||Stereo Speaker, MP3, Midi, AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, OGG, AMR=NB/WB, Video: 1080p at 30fps|
|Built-in Ports||3.5 mm audio jack|
|Connectivity||Wi-Fi 802.11b/g/n, Bluetooth wireless technology 2.1 + EDR, HSPA+ (4G), EDGE, GPRS|
|Memory||option of either 16 GB or 32 GB of internal storage|
|Sensors||Proximity, accelerometer, digital compass and gyroscope|
|Battery||Rechargeable 6860 mAh|
|Value-Added Features||Android Market, Flash 10.1 support in Browser|