Ebay Sells 65% of Skype to Andreessen Horowitz (and others) for $2 Billion !

Ebay announced yesterday that the company has decided to sell a 65% stake in its Skype unit to an investor group led by Silver Lake and includes Index Ventures, Andreessen Horowitz, and the Canada Pension Plan Investment Board for $2 Billion. The e-commerce giant will retain the remaining 35%.

"Skype is a strong standalone business, but it does not have synergies with our e-commerce and online payments businesses," eBay President and CEO John Donahoe said in a statement Tuesday. "As a separate company, we believe that Skype will have the focus required to compete effectively in online voice and video communications and accelerate its growth momentum."

Andreesen Horowitz is a venture capital group launched in July by Marc Andreessen, founder of Netscape and Ben Horowitz, who co-founded Opsware with Andreessen.

Under the acquisition deal, eBay is set to receive approximately $1.9 billion in cash and a note from the buyer of $125 million as principal amount -- bringing it to a total of $2.025 billion.

In 2005, Ebay acquired Skype from its founders, Niklas Zennstrom and Janus Friis, for $2.6 Billion. The two has recently expressed interest in buying the Internet Phone Service back.

[via CNET]

Enter your email address to subscribe to TechPinas:

No comments:

Let me know your thoughts on this TechPinas article.